Auggies Shutout in Home Opener, 31-0
MINNEAPOLIS — The Augsburg University football team dropped to 1-1 overall with a 31-0 nonconference loss to Concordia University-Wisconsin in the Auggies’ home opener at Edor Nelson Field on Saturday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE: Concordia-Wisconsin 31, Augsburg 0
LOCATION: Edor Nelson Field, Minneapolis
RECORDS: Augsburg 1-1 overall, Concordia-Wisconsin 2-0 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Concordia took advantage of two Augsburg turnovers and scored 21 second-quarter points to take a commanding lead. Starting quarterback Quinn Frisell (SR, Plymouth, Minn./Robbinsdale Armstrong HS) was knocked out of the game with an injury on a sack and fumble at the Augsburg 4-yard-line, which the Falcons recovered in the end zone for the first touchdown of the game. The Auggies went three-and-out on their next drive, and Concordia scored on a 50-yard touchdown run three plays later. Following an interception with 1:19 left in the first half, the Falcons converted a 31-yard touchdown pass with 45 seconds left to take a 21-0 halftime lead.
• Linebackers Derek Glynn (SR, Lonsdale, Minn./Faribault HS) and Jared Pope (JR, Colorado Springs, Colo./Lewis-Palmer HS) had strong games for the Auggie defense, with Glynn recording a game-high 12 tackles (five solo) with a pass breakup, and Pope claiming 11 tackles (two solo) with two tackles for-loss and a half-sack.
• Camdin Carlson-Mathies (SO, Sauk Rapids, Minn./Sauk Rapids-Rice HS) claimed his fifth career blocked kick, stopping a Concordia field-goal attempt late in the first quarter. Collin Feld (SR, Baraboo, Wis./Baraboo HS) had an interception and a fumble recovery for the Auggies.
• Augsburg was limited to just 57 yards of total offense — 70 yards passing and minus-13 rushing yards, including 39 yards lost on three Falcon sacks. Josiah Ferguson (JR, St. Michael, Minn./St. Michael-Albertville HS) caught three passes for 32 yards, while Quran Al-Hameed (JR, Woodbury, Minn./Woodbury HS) rushed 14 times for 39 yards.
• Shaquille Young (FY, St. Paul, Minn./Tartan HS) and Steven Edwards Jr. (SR, Kissimmee, Fla./Liberty HS) each recorded quarterback sacks. Young had two tackles for-loss, a forced fumble and seven overall tackles (four solo), and Edwards had six tackles (four solo). Eric Reichwaldt (FY, Burnsville, Minn./Apple Valley HS) had six tackles (three solo), including two tackles for-loss.
• Mike Rodriguez (JR, Hastings, Minn./Hastings HS) had a strong punting day, averaging 40.1 yards per-punt on seven punts, including a 58-yarder in the third quarter.
FOR THE FOES
• Concordia put together 431 yards of total offense (254 yards rushing, 177 passing), and had 24 first downs to Augsburg’s six. James Linn completed 19-of-26 passing for 168 yards and two touchdowns — both to Tanner Hill, who caught six passes for 84 yards. Linn also rushed for a game-high 102 yards on 18 carries.
• Matt Montgomery had 82 rushing yards on seven carries, including a 50-yard touchdown run in the second quarter.
• Dwayne Rackard III recovered the fumble on a sack by Connor Stoming in the end zone for Concordia’s first touchdown in the second quarter. Stoming led the Falcons with seven tackles (three solo).
• Augsburg opens Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference play next Saturday (9/21) at 1 p.m. with a game at Concordia-Moorhead.
• Concordia-Wisconsin travels to face Trine (Ind.) next Saturday at 1 p.m. (Eastern time).
By Augsburg Football Staff
Featured Image by Kevin Healy/Augsburg College