Third Quarter Surge Propels Spartans Past Cougars, 49-13
The Aurora University Spartan football hosted Concordia University Chicago for their Home Opener Saturday afternoon. The Spartans defeated the Cougars 49-13.
FINAL SCORE: Aurora University 49, Concordia University Chicago 13
LOCATION: Montgomery, Illinois
RECORDS: Aurora University 2-0 overall and 2-0 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
– CUC took the opening kickoff and drove all the way to the AU 20, but had to settle for a field goal to go up 3-0.
– The Spartans first play of the game would net 19 yards on a reception from Trey Madsen.
– AU would be punting four plays later to end their first drive.
– The AU defense would force a punt, but would return back to the field quickly as the offense would fumble and give the ball back to the Cougars.
– After a turnover on downs from CUC, AU would drive down the field and find Michael Boland in the endzone for a 5-yard receiving touchdown. 7-3 AU.
– On the ensuing kickoff, the Spartans would recover a pooch kick that the Cougar were never able to get to.
– Two plays later, Spartan Gavin Zimbelman would find Madsen in the endzone for a 18-yard touchdown. 14-3 Spartans.
– With 3:07 remaining in the half CUC would intercept a pass at their own 35 to stop an AU drive.
– CUC would drive down and kick another field goal to cut the deficit to 14-6 going into half.
– Malik Whitehead returned the kick to start the 2nd half 58 yards to set up a Tyran Bailey 36-yard TD rush. 21-6 Spartans.
– The Spartans would need just two plays on their next drive for a 79-yard TD rush from Zimbelman. 28-6 Spartans.
– Spartan Blake Martz would set the offense up to score again when he intercepted a pass at the CUC 32.
– After a penalty, Zimbelman would find Madsen down the middle of the field for a 40-yard TD pass. 35-6 Spartans.
– Zimbleman would find Madsen again on the following drive for a 7-yard TD reception. 42-6 Spartans.
– Second before the end of the 3rd the Spartans would score again. Zimbleman with another passing TD. This time a 19-yard reception from Whitehead. 48-6 Spartans.
– With 5:35 left in the game CUC would score the final points of the game with a TD receptions.
– Spartans were victorious 49-13.
FOR THE SPARTANS
– Gavin Zimbelman was 19-of-35 passing for 267 yards and five touchdowns. He also rushed for 127 yards and a touchdown.
– Tyran Bailey had 12 carries for 73 yards and one touchdown.
– Trey Madsen caught ten passes for 135 yards and three touchdown receptions.
– Marcellus Romious and Blake Martz led the defense with seven tackles.
SPARTAN STAT LEADERS
– Carries: Tyran Bailey (12) and Gavin Zimbelman (8)
– Yards: Gavin Zimbelman (127) and Tyran Bailey (73)
– Touchdowns: Tyran Bailey and Gavin Zimbelman (1)
– Gavin Zimbelman (19-of-35 for 267 yards and five touchdowns)
– Catches: Trey Madsen (10)
– Yards: Trey Madsen (135)
– Touchdowns: Trey Madsen (3)
– Tackles: Marcellus Romious and Blake Martz (7)
– Interceptions: Blake Martz (1)
– Sacks: Marcellus Romious (1)
Next action for the Spartan football team comes on Saturday, April 3 when they travel to Benedictine University. Kick-off is set for 1:00 p.m. in Lisle, Illinois.
By Aurora Athletic Staff