Zimbelman Rallies Spartans Past Eagles, 36-30
The Aurora University Spartan football team traveled to Benedictine University and won 36-30, scoring twice late to take the lead and secure an undefeated three game south division NACC schedule.
FINAL SCORE: Aurora University 36, Benedictine University 30
LOCATION: Lisle, Illinois
RECORDS: Aurora University 3-0 overall and 3-0 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
– AU received the opening kickoff and took just three plays for Spartan Gavin Zimbelman to throw a 68-yard TD to Brock Harner.
– Sean Kerr would kick the extra point to give the Spartan an early 7-0 lead.
– BU would score with 6:27 remaining in the 1st quarter after intercepting a pass.
– AU marched down the field on their next drive, capping it off with an 11-yard Zimbelman rushing TD. 14-7 Spartans.
– After trading possessions multiple times, BU found the endzone with just under 5 minutes remaining in the half, but missed the extra point. 14-13 Spartans.
– The Eagles would run out the clock to end the half after a third Spartan turnover.
– Both teams turned the ball over on downs on their first possessions of the 2nd half.
– Benedictine took their second possession to the endzone on a receiving TD. Taking eight minutes to do so.
– AU would be set up with great field position on the next drive as Jhequa Chretin would return the ball 36 yards with a BU facemask penalty adding an addtional 15.
– Four plays later Zimbelman was rushing into the endzone from four yard out. 21-20 Spartans.
– BU would make a 29-yard field goal on their next possession to take the lead 23-21.
– Another AU turnover led to the Eagles scoring another touchdown to extend their lead to 30-21 with under 8 minutes to go in the game.
– The AU defense would force a punt from the Eagles after the Spartans 5th turnover of the game.
– A much needed big play would ignite the Spartan offense on the first play of the drive as Trey Madsen would haul in a 53-yard reception.
– AU would score three plays later on another Zimbelman rush. 30-28 Eagles.
– On the ensuring kick off Ben Slatcoff would recover the onside pooch kick for the Spartans with 4:17 remaining in the game.
– Six plays later Zimbelman was rushing in for his fourth touchdown on the ground. Tyran Bailey would rush in for the 2-point conversion to retake the lead 36-30 Spartans.
– The BU offense would get to midfield trying to tie the game up until Jeffery Williams would seal the game for the Spartans with an interception in the end zone.
– AU would win with a final score of 36-30.
FOR THE SPARTANS
– Gavin Zimbelman was 12-of-26 passing for 224 yards and one touchdown. He also rushed for 68 yards and four touchdowns.
– Tyran Bailey had 22 carries for 140 yards.
– Trey Madsen caught four passes for 96 yards.
– Brock Harner caught three passes for 88 yards and one touchdown.
– Robbie Peterson led the defense with nine tackles.
SPARTAN STAT LEADERS
– Carries: Tyran Bailey (22) and Gavin Zimbelman (11)
– Yards: Tyran Bailey (140) and Gavin Zimbelman (68)
– Touchdowns: Gavin Zimbelman (4)
– Gavin Zimbelman (12-of-26 for 224 yards and one touchdown)
– Catches: Trey Madsen (4)
– Yards: Trey Madsen (96)
– Touchdowns: Brock Harner (1)
– Tackles: Robbie Peterson (9)
– Interceptions: Jeffery Williams (1)
– Sacks: Jared Pratt and Nathan Johnson (0.5)
Next action for the Spartan football team comes on Saturday, April 10 when they host Wisconsin Lutheran College. Kick-off is set for 5:00 p.m. in Montgomery, Illinois.
by Aurora Athletics Staff