Lake Forest Pulls Away in Fourth to Down Warriors, 27-15
MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College football team nearly erased a 14-point deficit, but visiting Lake Forest out-scored Wisconsin Lutheran 13-2 in the fourth quarter as Foresters defeated the Warriors 27-15 in the season opener for both teams under the lights Thursday at Raabe Stadium.
- Final Score: Lake Forest 27, Wisconsin Lutheran 15
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-1), Lake Forest (1-0)
- Location: Raabe Stadium, Milwaukee, Wis.
- The Warriors drove 36 yards on their opening drive of the game, but turned the ball over on downs facing a 4th-and-2 from the Foresters 39-yard line. Lake Forest took the ensuing possession and drove 57 yards on 11 plays, capped by a Bill Degnan 19-yard touchdown pass to Alex Adams II.
- Following a WLC turnover on its second drive, LFC went 45 yards on seven plays as Degnan found John Rall for a 17-yard touchdown for a 14-0 lead.
- Wisconsin Lutheran found the endzone on its first drive of the second quarter when freshman quarterback Nick Yockey (Gig Harbor, Wash.) connected with fellow freshman Gavin Winter (Howards Grove, Wis.) for a 25-yard touchdown with 12:18 left in the quarter. The scoring strike capped a six-play, 65-yard drive that lasted just 2:35.
- The two teams exchanged punts over the next five possessions as the score remained 14-7 in favor of the Foresters at the halftime break.
- The Warriors went three-and-out on their first drive of the second half, but capitalized on a muffed punt that was recovered by Max Gulland (Milwaukee, Wis.) at their own 45-yard line. Yockey threw his second touchdown of the game five plays later when he found Brandon Livingston (Carson, Calif.) from 15 yards out. The extra point try was no good and WLC trailed 14-13 with 7:46 left in the third quarter.
- The Foresters extended their lead to 21-13 midway through the fourth quarter after moving 55 yards in 7:03 on Degnan’s third TD pass of the game from two yards away to Cooper Tomlin.
- The final scoring plays of the game came with 1:19 left after LFC’s Adams II rushed 13 yards for a score, but Devonte Jones (Vero Beach, Fla.) returned the ensuing point after attempt the other way for two points.
- Yockey finished 18-for-32 for 199 yards and two touchdowns in his first collegiate start. His top target was Marquis Davis (Urbana, Ill.), who hauled in five catches for 44 yards. Livingston also had 44 yards on a trio of grabs.
- Alan Jackson (Norwalk, Calif.) rushed 14 times for 66 yards, an average of 4.7 yards per carry.
- Wisconsin Lutheran accumulated 267 yards of total offense, but was held to a combined 4-for-16 on third and fourth downs.
- Defensively, Jody Styczynski (Coleman, Wis.) tied a game high with 10 tackles. Zach Brug (Sturtevant, Wis.) added two sacks, while Cameron Wolf (Oconomowoc, Wis.) added another.
- Bill Degnan passed for 143 yards and three touchdowns on 14-for-23 attempts. Alex Adams II rushed 21 times for 84 yards, and A.J. Jackson caught six passes for 72 yards. The Foresters totaled 307 yards of offense and were a combined 9-for-16 on third and fourth downs. Jordan McInerney tied a game high with 10 tackles, including 3.5 sacks.
- The Warriors begin a stretch of three straight road games next Saturday when they visit NAIA opponent Lawrence Tech in Southfield, Michigan. The Blue Devils, who finished 5-3 in their inaugural season in 2018, open their season Saturday hosting St. Xavier. Live stats will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.