Zimbelman Leads Aurora to Season Opening Victory
The Aurora University Spartan football returned to the gridiron on Saturday afternoon at Eureka College and defeated the hosts 42-7.
FINAL SCORE: Aurora University 42, Eureka College 7
LOCATION: Eureka, Illinois
RECORDS: Aurora University 1-0 overall and 1-0 NACC; Eureka College 0-1 overall and 0-1 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
– On the second play of the game, Spartan Colin Dominski intercepted a pass and set up the offense at the 25 yard line.
– Tyran Bailey took the first play and dashed 25 yards for what looked to be a touchdown but a holding call brought the play back.
– Five plays later, Bailey would score from five yards out and AU led 7-0.
– After the defense forced a punt, the Spartan offense scored quickly again. Gavin Zimbelman hit Cam Moore on a 42-yard touchdown strike and AU led 14-0.
– The AU defense (Jeffery Williams) picked off another Eureka pass in the first quarter but an AU fumble gave Eureka the ball at the Spartan 17 late in the quarter.
– Eureka scored early in the second to give AU a 14-7 advantage.
– AU responded right away, going 70 yards in seven plays with a Zimbelman to Brock Harner pass for 23-yards and a touchdown wrapping up the drive.
– Midway through the second, AU needed one play and 53 yards for Zimbelman to hit Moore for a second time and score.
– AU led 28-7 which would be the score going to halftime.
– The Spartans recovered an on-side attempt from Eureka to start the second-half. One play in, Zimbelman hit Trey Madsen for a 30-yard touchdown and AU led 35-7.
– Zimbelman and Madsen connected again on the next Spartan drive, this time from 19 yards and AU led 42-7.
– AU would get lots of players action over the final quarter and a half while holding on to the 42-7 victory.
FOR THE SPARTANS
– Gavin Zimbelman was 17-of-30 passing for 290 yards and five touchdowns. He also rushed for 62 yards
– Tyran Bailey had 12 carries for 48 yards and one touchdown.
– Trey Madsen caught four passes for 65 yards and two touchdown receptions.
– Cam Moore caught two passes for 95 yards and two touchdowns.
– Reggie Ferguson led the defense with eight tackles.
SPARTAN STAT LEADERS
– Carries: Tyran Bailey (12) and Kyle Evert (9)
– Yards: Gavin Zimbelman (62) and Tyran Bailey (48)
– Touchdowns: Tyran Bailey (1)
– Gavin Zimbelman (17-of-30 for 290 yards and five touchdowns)
– Catches: Trey Madsen and Tyran Bailey (4)
– Yards: Cam Moore (95)
– Touchdowns: Cam Moore and Trey Madsen (4)
– Tackles: Reggie Ferguson (8)
– Interceptions: Colin Dominski and Jeffery Williams (1)
– Sacks: Jared Pratt and Jeffery Williams (1)
Next action for the Spartan football team comes on Saturday, March 27 when they host Concordia University Chicago. Kick-off is set for 1:00 p.m. at Spartan Athletic Park in Montgomery, Illinois.
By Aurora Athletic Department Staff